Sunday, December 25, 2011

My favorite gift……ever

Two years ago on a very cold, dark December night we took our girls for a ride to see the Christmas lights in town.  On the way home it was decided that we needed to have hot chocolate with all the toppings, so my family drove into the supermarket parking lot  and I ran into the store while greeting neighbors and friends to buy marshmallows, whipped cream, peppermint sticks, and coffee.  I quickly made my way through the store picking up need items but stopped short when I reached the place where my favorite coffee usually is usually displayed.  The shelf was empty of coffee, but in that spot was a perfectly wrapped gift.  Shiny green paper, a red bow, and a sticker from the local jewelry store were visible. My first thought was that some poor unsuspecting soul had lost the gift he was taking home to his special someone. I stretched my hand out, but quickly brought it back to my side.  What should I do? This action repeated itself several times. I remember thinking how silly I was going to look on the security video. Finally, I made up my mind to take the gift to customer service so there would be hope of its owner locating it again. 
When I finally picked the package up, I saw a poem written on a piece of white paper.  The poem stated that this was for the finder with no strings attached.  I read the poem with its verse about spreading holiday cheer and remembering others.  I placed the gift in my hand basket and gingerly checked out, waiting for someone to stop me and say I was on some sort of hidden camera show. 
In the car I told my family about my strange find and one of the children told us that it really was true; the jewelry store was hiding the gifts around town. In the box was a perfect pearl necklace. I was astounded.  Times have been hard around here. It was the only gift I received that year, but that's not why it is my favorite.  The necklace is my favorite gift because it was totally unexpected, undeserved, and given without hesitation or expectation of a return.  It reminds me all year long of the true reason we celebrate Christmas.  A gift given to all people: Jesus. 
I don't usually repost other things I find on the web, but this short video struck a chord in me this week.  Please take a moment to watch and have a blessed Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment